Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Review of The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

The Tattooist of Auschwitz: Young Adult Edition


Rating: ★★★★ 4

Historical fiction is not really my genre, but I read this book for bookclub, and man was I surprised! Very pleasantly surprised. I couldn't put it down, I literally read it in one day.

It was a very easy read and flowed well 'till the end.

This book made me think about how fortunate most of us really are. We don't always realize it, because we all look at the world from our own perspective. And perspectives are formed through life experience, age, opinions, relationships and all manner of different things. 
This tale makes you realize how strong the human will is. And how strong the emotion, love, is. The two main characters fell in love in the most inhospitable of circumstances.
So yes, it is not just a historical fiction, but strip away all the background, who they are, where they are, why everything is happening, and what you get is a love story.A beautiful love story, great for any romantic.

I was a bit disappointed at the lack of detail, though. Detail about what really happened in the camp. The gruesome, ugly truth. I am one who likes the ugly details and the dark side of things.
I did only read the YA Edition, so maybe that is the reason. After I've read the adult edition, I'll let you know.

I also would love to read a book from the other point of view. Maybe from the viewpoint of a Nazi soldier guarding the prisoners. 

I would recommend this book to YA and adult alike. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus

  Pay close attention and you might solve this. On Monday afternoon, five students at Bayview High walk into detention. Bronwyn,  the bra...